Employment opportunity: Children and Youth Ministries Coordinator
St. Matthew’s is a vibrant Christian community that welcomes everyone, embraces inspiring worship and learning, and is committed to hospitality and loving service.
Reporting to the Rector, the Children and Youth Ministries Coordinator oversees and builds the Sunday School, nurturing relationships with families and connecting with teenagers; working 10 hours per week to direct and lead the Sunday School and to develop a ministry for high school aged young people once the Sunday School is well-established.
The Children and Youth Ministries Coordinator will direct and lead the ministries for children and youth on Sunday morning by:
- ensuring that age-appropriate books and other materials for children are available at the back of the church;
- preparing curriculum materials as needed for teachers;
- preparing the Chapel and the Sunday School and Youth rooms prior to the arrival of the children;
- greeting parents and children as they arrive at church;
- welcoming new students, obtaining contact information;
- shaping the Sunday morning church school program, and special events from time to time
- assisting teachers as needed in class areas;
- tidying up all the spaces used by the Sunday School students each Sunday.
The Children and Youth Ministries Coordinator ensures the smooth operation of the Sunday School by:
- recruiting and equipping volunteer teachers for each of the three classes;
- maintaining a roster of teachers and a list of all students by classes, including full names and contact information such as phone number and e-mail address;
- assigning teachers to Sunday duties in each of the 3 to 5, 6 to 8 and 9 to 11 age groups;
- familiarizing the teachers with the Spark curriculum;
- communicating regularly with the Sunday School parents and children using social media; and
- cooperating with other church staff and volunteers as required.
The Children and Youth Ministries Coordinator builds a youth group for high school age young people after the Sunday School is well-established by:
- gathering teens monthly for an educational/social program;
- helping young people to grow in faith as members of the parish;
- nurturing leadership potential, encouraging young people to creatively express their faith; and
- communicating with young people using social media.
The Children and Youth Ministries Coordinator builds strong connections with the parish, deanery and the wider church by:
- planning occasional inter-generational gatherings outside of Sunday School time;
- building the children and youth parts of the parish website;
- meeting regularly with the Rector and the parish staff;
- reporting through the Education Committee to the Parish Council;
- attending Parish Council meetings from time to time;
- contributing to the implementation of the strategic plan; and
- liaising with other children’s ministers in neighbouring parishes and the diocese
Supports for the position:
- administrative support of the St. Matthew’s parish administrator;
- mentoring by the Rector;
- time for professional development.
- love of the Gospel of Jesus Christ
- knowledge of the Anglican tradition
- experience and interest in working with children
- availability to work on Sunday and flexibility throughout the week
- ability to work well with adult volunteers, delegating, equipping, training them to lead
- desire to grow in Christian faith
The position will be paid in accordance with diocesan policy for similar positions, and based on experience and education.
Submit your application:
Deadline: Friday, October 15, 2021
Last updated: September 7, 2021