When you come to St. Matthew’s you will find open hearts, open minds and open doors. About 150 people worship at the choral Eucharist on Sunday mornings at 10:00am. All baptized Christians are welcome to share in the bread and wine.
To view the narrative budget, annual reports to Vestry, strategic plan and information on parish governance please visit our Administration page.
For a short guided tour of the interior of the church and its icons created by the late Heinrich Schlieper, click here: Tour Guide
217 First Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario K1S 2G5
View map at bottom of every page.
History of St. Matthew’s - The Anglican Church in the Glebe
When in 1898 Ottawa had a population of just 58,000, a little group of Church of England followers founded a parish in the expanding south part of town known as the Glebe. They built a small, wood-frame church just west of Bank Street. The Bishop of the Diocese of Ottawa, Charles Hamilton, named it St. Matthew’s after the Quebec City church he had served at a decade earlier. The Glebe’s present-day St. Matthew’s Anglican Church, a handsome stone structure that opened in 1930, sits in much the same location as its predecessor between what are now First and Glebe Avenues. And for many in the community, it is still the same spiritual and social cornerstone that it was for those nine founding families more than a century ago.
In the late 1890s, Ottawa was struggling to turn itself from a brawling lumber town into a capital fit for an emerging nation. The Rideau Canal was cleared of unsightly old sheds and piles of lumber. The swampy area in the Glebe where Patterson Creek entered the canal was drained and public gardens laid out. A driveway was built along the canal from downtown Laurier Avenue to Dow’s Lake. Click here for more information.
In 2014, the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War , St. Matthew’s launched an ambitious project to create profiles of the 48 parishioners who gave their lives for their country in the two world wars. On Remembrance Sundays from 2014 to 2018, the stories of these men are presented in a Chapel Chat, and in 2018, we hope to be launch a website with all 48 profiles.
Sixteen parishioners were killed in action in the First World War and another 32 in the Second World War. Approximately 400 other members of the congregation served in World War ll. All their names are displayed on special wall plaques in the northeast corner of the church but, as the years pass, their personal stories are fading into history.
We invite anyone in the community who recognizes these names to contribute their memories or information. We are seeking: relatives or family descendants available for first person interviews; photographs of the deceased; and any other information that could assist this process. Please contact Kevan Pipe firstname.lastname@example.org 613/552-7473.